So often we spend our work days powering through work with the simple goal of getting it done and being able to go home at the end of the day. Before we know it the week is over and we get to do it all again in 2 days’ time.
The trouble with this is that we don’t get anything out of it and we can end up hating our job. Taking the time to think through every task we are doing and how it will benefit the business and clients can improve your own wellbeing and find a greater purpose for what you do. A sense of mindfulness will help you to get more than just a salary out of your job.
What is mindfulness?
Mindfulness is about paying full attention to the task at hand and completing it with purposefulness without judgement in the present time. The origins of mindfulness come from meditation and are designed to reduce stress and anxiety. Having mindfulness as part of your everyday routine will help you to have a greater awareness, allowing you to have a better understanding of what you are doing and why which will result in you being more stress free.
What are the benefits?
Taking a mindful approach to your work each day will have a number of positive effects;
- You will become aware of habitual or routine behaviours that may not be most efficient or are simply outdated, allowing you to take an alternative course of action.
- Having this awareness will allow you to better adapt to unknown situations
- You detach yourself emotionally from more situations which will allow you to make clearer, and likely better, decisions when it comes to finding a solution or choosing a course of action.
- Having a greater sense of calm will likely enable you to come up with more creative and innovative solutions to problems or simply improve processes.
- You will better prioritise your life and find a more suitable balance between work and play as a result of a broader perspective on things.
- Emotions such as stress and anxiety will be reduced which will in turn lower your blood pressure and improve your general wellbeing. This will have a significant impact on all facets of life allowing you to enjoy yourself more, relax and be more productive.
The impacts of increased mindfulness are almost boundless. Mindfulness in the workplace will enable you to get more out of your work and likely have a positive influence on your colleagues as well.